Sausage and Mushroom Bourguignon Recipe
As temperatures drop around the country, we’ve found ourselves craving a warm, yet hearty and rich French classic this winter.
We thought we might hit a bit of a snag, not being able to use cheese, bread, or any of the other common French cuisine essentials but… alas, we found easy success with a traditional bourguignon recipe (this one even includes a wine-free version!).
This recipe is traditionally made with red wine, so we’ve used a sulfite-free version here. However, it’s perfectly acceptable to use beef broth, so we’ve made two versions for you: one with wine, one without.
Our 100% Grass Fed Beef Sticks add a smoky depth to the carrots and fragrant broth. Complemented with a sweet side of acorn squash, it’s a flavor profile you won’t want to miss.
Sausage and Mushroom Bourguignon
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 Paleovalley Grass Fed Beef Sticks, thinly sliced into small rounds
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 10 oz sliced cremini mushrooms
- ¼ cup organic red wine (or beef broth for an alcohol-free version)
- ¾ cup chopped carrots
- ¾ tsp dried thyme (or 1 Tbsp fresh)
- 1 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup beef broth
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- ½ acorn squash (optional) as a side, seeded and sliced into 2 large slices
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Baking sheet
- Large saute pot
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Rub acorn squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a dash of sea salt. Set on baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes while making the bourguignon, or until a fork easily pierces the slices.
- In your large pot, warm 1 tablespoon of olive oil over low to medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes. Transfer them, with juices, to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pot over medium heat, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil along with the onion, carrot, garlic, thyme, Paleovalley Beef Stick slices, and salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms back in, along with coconut aminos and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste. Stir everything together and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Pour in the red wine (OR additional broth if subbing) and the beef broth, then bring to a simmer. Stir in 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch, then allow to cook for 10 minutes, until liquid has reduced by half.
- Remove the acorn squash from the oven and serve warm alongside the bourguignon, garnished with fresh herbs of choice.
We subbed sausage in this recipe for our smoky, pre-cooked grass fed beef sticks. They not only make perfect on-the-go snacks, but also work great when you need a tasty weeknight dinner in a pinch.
>>> Click HERE to Try Paleovalley Beef Sticks RISK-FREE + Get up to 24% Off TODAY!