EP79: Beginner’s Guide To Research with Dr. Chris Masterjohn
IN THIS EPISODE:
Dr. Masterjohn earned a Ph.D. in Nutritional Sciences from the University of Connecticut in the summer of 2012. He has served as a postdoctoral research associate in the Comparative Biosciences department of the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and an Assistant Professor of Health and Nutrition Sciences at Brooklyn College, part of the City University of New York. Recently Dr. Masterjohn left academia to conduct independent research and create content that teaches people how to live healthier lives.
He is CRAZY smart. I actually have to listen to his podcasts in chunks, because he has sooo much wisdom to share.But today we did our best to keep the geek factor under control (for the most part) so you don't want to miss it!
Here are a few of the fascinating topics we discuss:
- Why Dr. Masterjohn quit drinking soda before he stopped smoking cigarettes
- The unconventional way he discovered the profound healing power of food
- The common mistake he was making that was ruining his health
- Why his classmates probably disliked him
- Why he was using tons of soy protein
- Why the scientific method is important
- How science has made us unhealthy
- The limitations and strengths of the scientific method
- Why science isn't always foolproof
- Why we shouldn't necessarily consider certain types of trials better than others
- The benefits of tightly controlled trials (and their downsides!)
- Why observational data is important and what it teaches us
- The REAL issue in nutritional research today (this is surprising!)
- The one trial he believed to be more problematic than any other
- Where should we start when researching a topic
- Why studies on coffee don't necessarily suggest it's good for everyone (even though many think they do!)
- Why we can't always trust the interpretations of other scientists
- Why research funding is important
- How we can avoid bias in our trials
- And much more!
Connect With Dr. Chris Masterjohn: www.chrismasterjohnphd.com
Learn More About Nutrition Here:
- Mastering Nutrition - www.chrismasterjohnphd.com/podcast
- Chris Masterjohn Ph.D. - www.facebook.com/chrismasterjohn
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining us this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share or a question you'd like to ask? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see in this post.
Also, we'd love it if you would leave an honest review for The Optimize Paleo Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are super helpful and greatly appreciated as it helps us expose this show to a wider audience and spread this information to more people who need to hear it. We read every review so we look forward to hearing from you!
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates…see you next time!
Click the button below to subscribe on iTunes: