EP. 56: Humane Slaughter & The Gifts of Autism with Dr. Temple Grandin
IN THIS EPISODE:
Temple Grandin is a renowned American author, animal behavior expert and an advocate for autistic people. With support from her mother and guiding mentors at school, she completed her education successfully and made a flourishing career as an animal expert and a parenting guru for autistic children. She has written numerous books on autism and animal welfare and has been providing consultation to slaughter plants and livestock farms to improve the quality of life of the cattle. She has received various awards towards her contribution to animal science and welfare and has made appearances on numerous television shows and international magazines.
As you can see, Dr. Grandin is a BIG deal.
She's revolutionized the way cows are slaughtered so that they experience as little pain and stress as possible.
She is also an autism advocate and the most accomplished and well known woman with autism in the WORLD.
You don't want to miss this chat!
Here are some of the highlights...
- What inspired Dr. Grandin to get into animal agriculture
- How and why Dr. Grandin revolutionized the way cows are slaughtered
- The simple tricks she used to improve cow welfare
- How her autistic mind helped her create a safer system for cows
- The amazing lengths she's gone to in order to understand the cow's experience
- The surprising things that spook cattle
- Whether or not it is really humane to eat animals?
- How stress affects meat quality
- The details of her revolutionary system
- Whether or not the cows know where they're headed
- How common it is for a cow to suffer with her system
- Why nature can be perhaps MORE harsh than slaughter
- What she says to people who are still opposed to raising animals for food
- What she thinks needs to be done to improve our educational systems
- What she thinks about her HBO movie!
- The importance of mentors
- How to "turn on" different kinds of minds
- What she's up to next
- The one piece of advice she'd give to the parents of autistic children
- And much more!
Check out Temple's website all about livestock here:
Check out her other website here:http://templegrandin.com/
Grab her book: The Autistic Brain: Helping Different Kinds of Minds Succeed Reprint Edition
Grab her book: Thinking in Pictures, Expanded Edition: My Life with Autism
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining us this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share or a question you'd like to ask? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see in this post.
Also, we'd love it if you would leave an honest review for The Optimize Paleo Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are super helpful and greatly appreciated as it helps us expose this show to a wider audience and spread this information to more people who need to hear it. We read every review so we look forward to hearing from you!
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates…see you next time!
Click the button below to subscribe on iTunes: