5 Reasons to Ditch Your Collagen Powder and What to Use Instead
I used to suffer from debilitating stomach pain.
I’ll spare you the details, but it wasn’t pretty. The symptoms were so bad, in fact, that my husband and I started sourcing the most nutrient-dense, healing foods we could find to try to help. This was more than 10 years ago and it wasn’t easy!
One of my favorite supplements in those early days was collagen powder.
Collagen is a powerful amino acid supplement that’s great for everything from gut health to joint health. But the more I learned about the processing behind collagen powder, the more I turned to the good old fashioned bone broth for the healing benefits of collagen.
Here’s a short list of why I knew we had to create a collagen powder alternative and why it’s so important to me to offer an alternative to the processed collagen powders on the market.
1. Collagen is a powerful healer. I knew we needed to create a collagen powder, but I wanted to do it right. The fact is, collagen is the most abundant protein molecule in your body. It’s part of everything from your skin, bones, muscles, and tendons. Think of it like a scaffolding that holds a building together, only the building is your body.
Here are just a few science-backed benefits of collagen:
- Collagen is what provides structure and tone to your skin, meaning more collagen = fewer wrinkles and more toned, hydrated skin. [1,2]
- Collagen may also help lower inflammation and reduce joint pain, according to several studies, which means less pain and more mobility as you age.[3.4]
- The amino acids in collagen are known for their role in rebuilding damaged gut lining, especially in those with leaky gut syndrome.
- Collagen can also regenerate bone and may help build muscle and support heart health, making collagen a critical supplement for anti-aging.[5,6,7]
2. Most collagen powders are HIGHLY processed. Fact: Most collagen powders are made using grain finished cow hides using high heat and/or harsh chemical solvents. We know this because we talked to nearly every collagen supplier in the world.
You deserve so much better.
That’s why we make real bone broth using only the highest quality grass fed and finished beef bones to extract the nutrients. Then that liquid is gently dried into a convenient powder. No neurotoxins required.
3. Questionable ingredients. On that note, I’ll reiterate… most collagen powders start off as grain finished cow hides or other less nutrient-dense parts of the animal. Simply put, companies can claim “grass fed” and “pastured” products even if the animal is finished on grains. Just grass fed isn’t enough. You and your family deserve the best.
4. Bone broth has collagen + even more nutrients. Bone broth is known for its high collagen content, which we know is amazing for gut health, skin, hair, and joints. But it’s also rich in essential minerals like calcium, magnesium, and potassium. These are all nutrients that get lost in highly processed collagen powders.
5. It’s actual bone broth, but versatile. I LOVE bone broth (obviously) but eating soup every day isn’t always an option. Our Grass Fed (and finished) Bone Broth Protein has a super mild flavor that is totally masked in coffees, smoothies, fat bombs, and more. You’ll get all the benefits of a homemade, slowly simmered bone broth, but without constantly sipping on soup!
Keep an eye out for our next blog post on exactly how to use this high protein powder!
I truly believe that every time you eat, you have a beautiful opportunity to add to your health and vitality or take away from it.
Our nutrient-packed, collagen-rich bone broth powder is designed to do just that - bring you vital nutrients to support your busy life.