5 Important Nutrients To Heal Your Thyroid
Did you know that approximately 30 million Americans currently suffer from a thyroid condition, half of which are currently undiagnosed?
The thyroid is an extremely important gland. It regulates your entire metabolism. When it is sluggish or underperforming, it can turn down the volume of nearly every bodily system. Symptoms of a sluggish thyroid include fatigue, thinning hair, difficulty getting pregnant, depression, weight gain, always feeling cold, reduced libido, dry hair/skin, brittle nails, and brain fog.
There is actually a lot you can do to heal a struggling thyroid by incorporating just a few small tweaks in your diet! Watch the following video: “News That Make You Healthier” with Christa Orrechio for 5 ways that you can begin healing your thyroid today...Full video here.
To summarize her points -- if you suspect you may have a thyroid issue, be sure to:
- Eliminate gluten and soy, pronto!
- Be sure to consume adequate iodine (kelp, pineapple, artichokes), omega-3 fatty acids (chia seeds, walnuts, leafy greens, wild fatty fish) selenium (brazil nuts, mushrooms, garlic, pasture-raised eggs), copper (grass-fed liver, clams, cashews) and iron-rich foods (grass-fed beef). You can order your grass-fed beef sticks from Paleovalley here.
A few of my own suggestions:
- Eliminate sugar & caffeine
- Consume high quality fat and protein with every meal
- Increase nutrient intake with a daily greens shake or greens powder
- Investigate whether or not you have food allergies
- Eat fermented foods or take a daily probiotic to improve gut health
- Eliminate stress and practice stress reduction.
It’s also important to note that almost 10 times more women have thyroid conditions than men. If you suspect your thyroid may be an issue, try the strategies above to give it a little jumpstart. Your energy levels, sex drive, and slim body will thank you for it.
Here’s to a thriving thyroid!