Stuffed Bell Peppers
Stuffed Bell Peppers
Yields 3-4 servings
Cooking Time: 45-50 minutes
- 6-8 bell peppers, tops and seeds removed – reserve tops
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 lb pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jar fire-roasted tomatoes (14 oz), or any other kind you like, liquid drained
- 1 can of tomato sauce (14 oz)
- 1 cup cauliflower rice
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 3 Tbsp Italian seasoning (or 1 Tbsp each of dried oregano, basil & parsley)
- Pinch of chili flakes
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp Avocado oil (you can substitute coconut oil too)
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves (or parsley if you hate the taste of cilantro)
- Optional garnishes: cilantro or parsley
- food processor (if you need to make cauliflower rice. Stores are beginning to sell cauli rice too which saves a ton of time and cleanup.
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. Keep tops and chop them (minus the stem) and set the pieces aside.
- Chop onion and press or mince garlic cloves.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onion and chopped pepper tops in a little avocado oil for about 5 minutes until onions are tender. Add the garlic until fragrant - about 1-2 minutes.
- In the same saucepan, add ground beef and pork sausage to the mix and cook everything together until the meat is browned.
- Next, add the fire roasted tomatoes and tomato sauce to the samesaucepan, and stir.
- In a bowl, add Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and red chili flakes to the cauliflower rice and mix.
- Then in a Pyrex or similar baking dish, spread a little of the meat sauce across the bottom and set the pepper shells inside.
- Spoon cauliflower stuffing mixture halfway into peppers and fill the rest with more of the tomato/meat sauce.
- Bake about 30-40 minutes at 350º F uncovered to heat through.
- Remove from oven, garnish with cilantro and serve.
Well, I hope you give this recipe a shot soon because I think you're going to love it! Trust me - this isn't just another boring old stuffed bell peppers recipe.
It's addictingly good, full of amazing flavors and 100% healthy too!
P.S. - Need to stock up on our Paleovalley Best Selling Products? Here's a handy link right to our store where you can find some of the most nutrient dense snacks and supplements to help you look and feel your absolute best!