Spaghetti Squash with Tomato Basil Cream Sauce Recipe
It’s the ultimate comfort food... a warm bowl of hearty, meaty spaghetti. Add a creamy sauce, and comfort becomes heavenly.
While you may have given up on ever achieving the bliss-that-once-was-spaghetti, we have been working hard to bring it back to the menu.
So, without further ado, we present spaghetti squash with dairy-free tomato-basil cream sauce.
This spaghetti is constructed out of spaghetti squash noodles for a gluten-free, hearty noodle, and complemented with a homemade sauce that uses a base of cashews and tomatoes to create an unparalleled “cream” sauce.
Toss in smoky turkey sausage, heaps of basil, and savory coconut cream, and you have yourself a pasta-like dish that won’t have you even thinking about the spaghetti of your past.
Spaghetti Squash with Tomato Basil Cream Sauce
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 4 Paleovalley Pasture-Raised Turkey Sticks
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 15 oz can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- ¼ cup basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ tsp sea salt (I LOVE this Microplastic-Free Sea Salt)
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp lemon juice
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Baking sheet
- Large serving plate
- Electric mixer
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Allow them to soak overnight (or at least two hours if short on time) then strain the water.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and slice spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon, then rub a teaspoon of olive oil over each half (inside, not outside). Rub with the garlic.
- Place face down on a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the soaked cashews, diced tomatoes, basil, and salt in a blender and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- For the coconut cream topping, combine coconut cream, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and a dash of salt using an electric mixer. Now beat until smooth and creamy.
- When the spaghetti squash is finished, use a fork to shred the spaghetti squash into strands.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Slice the turkey sticks into thin slices and saute for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Place squash in the pan and cover with sauce (you may have some leftover, depending on how much sauce you like).
- Toss to combine until warmed through.
- Move to a serving bowl and top with coconut cream, fresh basil, and red pepper flakes prior to serving.